Autumn is ripe for the picking so to speak. The first few frosts of fall signals the best time to hand pick apples if you are inclined. Those chilly nights help to sweeten the local apple crops. And we all have our favorites, with around seven thousand varieties around the world there is an apple for everyone.
I wanted to make a welcome to fall apple treat, nothing fancy, and yes, I also wanted the house to smell great, apples baking in the oven and with this cake recipe, cinnamon too.
A basic apple cake just didn’t sound that interesting even if it tasted good, so I decided to pair it with some salted caramel. How can you go wrong with such a classic match made in heaven? A simply, so good combination perfect for lifting up the chilly weather ahead.
Cinnamon Apple Cake Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup brown sugar, packed
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
½ cup buttermilk
2 cups diced apple, peeled
Buttermilk [for brushing]
Cinnamon Sugar [mix together 4 teaspoons granular sugar & 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon]
Preheat oven to 350°F
preparing the cake pans:
1. Cut eight 9-inch circles of parchment and line cake rings.
*note: The cake rings used were 3.25”x2.” I used cans that once held water chestnuts! If you do not have any and want to use a different pan, this recipe will fill a 9”x9” pan or a standard bread pan.
preparation of the batter:
1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, nutmeg and black pepper.
2. Cream together brown sugar and butter until light, approximately 3-5 minutes.
3. Beat in one egg at a time until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Gently stir in half of the flour followed by half of the buttermilk until combined.
5. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk.
6. Fold in diced apples.
7. Fill each parchment lined round two-thirds full.
8. Brush tops with buttermilk and sprinkle the full amount of cinnamon sugar evenly over each cake.
9. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
Makes 8 mini cakes.
Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe
1 cup granular sugar
¼ cup water
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
½ cup heavy cream
¾ teaspoon fleur de sel [-or- sea salt]
preparing the caramel:
1. Combine sugar and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Use a skewer to swirl the sugar so it colors evenly.
3. Cook until sugar has is amber in color and turn off heat.
4. Toss in butter bits and then the heated cream [mixture will violently bubble.]
5. Whisk until smooth and has cooled.
6. Stir in fleur de sel.
Makes 1 ½ cups.
To Serve: Remove the cake rings and parchment paper and serve with salted caramel sauce over.