These lovely little tarts are quick to make and easy to eat. Forelle pears are tiny fruits with a beautiful texture and wonderful fragrance. It’s hard to pass up a fresh ripe pear for eating when you want a delicate sweet dessert, so purchase extra ones just for eating later.
I have been catching up on the final gardening chores that need doing. Late fall is a calm time to put the garden to sleep and prepare for the winter ahead. The weather is calm and the cloudy skies cast a silvery tone throughout the scenery, which is rather lovely by the way.
On completing the final wintering in the garden I can now get back into the kitchen where it’s warm and toasty, make a few tarts and say hello to a relaxing afternoon.
Hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday with family, friends and great food.
Forelle Pear Tart Recipe
2 cups gluten-free baking mix
1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg, room temp
¼ teaspoon sea salt
4 ripe, but fir Forelle pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg, room temp
¾ cup almond meal
1 Tablespoon gluten-free baking mix
1 Tablespoon almond extract
1/3 cup sliced almonds, coarse chopped
1/3 cup apricot jam, strained and heated for glazing
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
preparing the tart dough:
1. In a food processor, combine the sugar and butter.
2. Add in the egg and sea salt; process for a minute or so.
3. Add the baking mix and run the processor until a ball of dough forms.
4. Chill dough in a flattened rectangle for 2 hours or until solid.
5. Divide dough into eight pieces, working with one piece at a time, roll dough and press into three inch tart pans. Chill while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
*note: Tart dough should be rolled between sheets of parchment for ease of lining tart pans.
preparing the frangipane:
1. Whisk together butter and sugar until smooth.
2. Add egg and beat in until smooth and creamy.
3. Stir in almond meal, gluten free mix and almond extract.
assembling and baking the tarts:
1. Spread frangipane evenly into prepared tart pans.
2. Place pears down the center of each tart and press lightly into the frangipane.
3. Bake for approximately 25-28 minutes until filling has puffed and top has browned.
4. Brush on apricot jam and sprinkle almonds around the edges.
*Gluten-Free Baking Mix Recipe
2 ¼ cups white rice flour
1 ¼ cups brown rice flour [Use superfine brown rice for a finer texture]
1 cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1. Whisk together all of the ingredients well and store in sealed container.
Makes 4 ½ cups baking mix.