With the weather feeling like late spring last weekend I couldn’t help but make a spring inspired tart and seeing all of those chives in the garden I didn’t hesitate one bit.
Every little bud I see peeking out of lifeless branches or silently emerging out beneath the damp earth always makes me stop to take a peak. The air definitely smells of spring. The buds are plump, the grasses appear like pin cushions and the bulbs have broken ground with force.
We definitely take daily walks through the garden to catch everything that is going on and to see how much the clumps of perennials have spread from last year.
Back in side from the amazing weather there was also a beet root soup cooking away in the kitchen that made it into the late afternoon meal that I must share with you soon. These two items were not intended to be eaten together, but I was hungry for a soup of beets so be on the lookout for this soup.
I am certainly making the beet soup again and a few others this weekend and finding more discoveries of spring outdoors.
Enjoy the sunshine!
Asparagus & Leek Tart Recipe [makes 3-6” Tarts]
¾ cup millet flour
½ cup sweet rice flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon sea salt
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
1 large whole egg
2 egg yolks
¾ cup leeks, halved & sliced thin
1 Tablespoons coconut oil
½ bunch asparagus, cut into 1” pieces
4 large eggs
½ cup cream
1 Tablespoons chives, finely sliced
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, beaten [for brushing the tart shell]
preparing the tart dough:
1. Combine the millet flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum and salt in a food processor.
2. Add in the cold butter bits and process until a coarse meal forms.
3. Add egg and egg yolk and run the food processor until dough forms.
4. Pour mixture onto a cold work surface and knead until smooth.
5. Form dough into a disc shape and chill until firm, approximately 2-4 hours.
pre-baking the tart shell:
1. Allow dough to soften so it can be rolled out easily, approximately 30 minutes.
2. On a floured piece of parchment roll a third of the dough into a seven inch circle.
3. Press into a six inch tart ring and set aside. Repeat with remaining two rinds & chill for 15 minutes.
4. Bake in a 375°F for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and brush with beaten egg. Bake for another 15 minutes.
6. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
*note: Tart rings have no bottoms so line a baking sheet with parchment and fill with dough right on the sheet.
preparing the filling:
1. Saute leeks in coconut oil for a minute over medium heat.
2. Add asparagus pieces and cook until tender. Cool slightly.
3. Whisk together eggs, cream, chives, salt and pepper.
4. Divide asparagus and leeks amongst the tart shells and pour custard over.
5. Bake until custard is just set in the center, approximately 15-20 minutes.