You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘pecan cookies’ tag.
Playing on the coconut theme a lot of my dairy-free recipes have been over the past few months, I made a delicious tapioca pudding. I have to confess I made six full batches this past weekend of pudding and found this to be the best spin on the age old classic.
Sometimes making desserts does not mean spending laborious amounts of time making tarts, jelly rolls or mousse cakes. It’s all about variety, comfort and spending time with others, not to mention they would be happy to help with over abundant dessert making!
Using coconut has been a great way for me to enjoy dairy rich recipes without using dairy at all. I am not saying no to dairy, but I think experimenting and variety to be what keeps cooking and baking exciting here at home.
Another recipe today is a cardamom spiced pecan cookies that was paired with this dessert just for fun and a nice balance from the creamy pudding.
Coconut Tapioca Pudding Recipe
½ cup tapioca pearls [not instant]
2 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk [drinking beverage]
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoons cornstarch*
2 teaspoons cold water
1/3 cup granular sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
1. Soak tapioca pearls in coconut milk [drinking beverage] overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Once soaked, place in a medium saucepan with the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
3. Reduce heat if necessary to keep coconut milk at a gentle simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
4. Add the cornstarch mixed with water to the pan. Stir until mixture comes back to a boil and has thickened.
5. Add sugar and vanilla extract and remove from heat.
6. Chill pudding in a shallow bowl and covered with plastic wrap directly on the surface.
Served room temp or chilled, makes 6-8 servings.
*note: If in the event you boil the pudding to hard you may not need the starch to give a more pleasant body.
Cardamom-Spiced Pecan Cookie Recipe
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
½ cup finely ground toasted pecans
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 cup gluten-free baking mix
2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted pecans
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
1. In a food processor cream the butter and then mix in confectioner’s sugar until smooth.
2. Add egg and vanilla; process for a minute until well incorporated.
3. Add pecans, cardamom and sea salt and mix in.
4. With the processor off place the full amount of flour mixture and process just until dough forms.
5. Chill dough for 2 hours in a flattened disk or one inch logs.
6. Cut eight inch slices and arrange on a parchment lined sheet pan and sprinkle on pecans.
7. Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.