You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘tart recipe’ tag.
Deciding to eat food without gluten [mostly] has been a normal part of cooking the past year. It wasn’t until the thought of creating desserts gluten-free did I start to look around and experiment with different sorts of recipes, one being an all-purpose gluten-free mix. The one being posted here is the most recent baking mix recipe that I find to be delightful, while still mimicking desserts that are with regular flour.
I was very happy making these tartlets and working with the dough. It was surprisingly easier than I thought and better to work with than pâte sucrée with flour. And I just have to say, I love the texture of this crust. They hold up well and have a nice crumb factor.
Here’s to an end of another great autumn month everyone!
Gluten-Free Pâte Sucrée Recipe
2 cups gluten-free baking mix
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 large egg
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Tart rings used were 2 ½ inches in diameter and 1 inch tall.
1. Process butter and confectioner’s sugar together until fluffy, 2 minutes.
2. Add egg and sea salt and process for another minute or so.
3. Add g/f flour mix and pulse just until combined, approximately 5 seconds.
4. Dump bowl onto a work surface and knead just to form a ball.
5. Flatten dough and wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1-2 hours.
6. Cut dough into sixteen portions.
7. Roll out one dough portion at a time to an eighth inch thickness.
8. Line a tartlet ring and place in refrigerator; repeat with remaining dough.
Bake @ 350°F from chill for 20-23 minutes or until edges start to turn golden.
Cool for a few minutes in the tart pans, then unmold and cool completely on a cooling rack.
*note: You do not need to blind bake these tartlets with beans or pie weights. If the tart dough is thin enough it will look just fine. For a sleeker finish, line tartlets with parchment and fill with weights.
Makes 12 tartlets -or- 8-4” tartlets
Hazelnut & Caramel Filling Recipe
1 cup granular sugar
¼ cup water
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
½ cup heavy cream
¾ teaspoon fleur de sel
2 cups hazelnuts
preparing the caramel:
1. Combine sugar and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Using a skewer, swirl the sugar so that is colors evenly.
3. Cook until sugar has turn amber in color and turn off heat.
4. Toss in butter bits and then the heated cream [mixture will violently bubble.]
5. Whisk until smooth and has cooled.
6. Stir in fleur de sel.
Makes 1 ½ cups.
preparing the hazelnuts:
1. Toast hazelnuts in a 350ºF for 15 minutes.
2. Once hazelnuts have cooled slightly, place between kitchen towels and rub to remove skins.
3. Halve or roughly chop and mix with caramel.
Fill prepared tartlets with filling and enjoy!
Gluten-Free Baking Mix Recipe
2 ¼ cups white rice flour
1 ¼ cups brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1. Whisk everything together in a bowl and store in an airtight container.