The holidays for me conjure up glistening desserts, hearty main meals and of course small sweet treasures. Growing up I remember eating all kinds of things, but the one thing I always loved about the holidays was my grandmother’s orange flavored gelatins. As the holiday approaches, I wanted to recreate that taste of the past.
For an updated version of that recipe, I used a bubbly citrus beverage, filled with fresh Satsuma oranges! To top things off and give a more finished look, a layer soft set coconut cream was used; this works very well for the garnish of pistachios and coconut. If you are not going dairy-free, cream would be a nice replacement.
As for the holidays go, I have yet to decide on a dessert to bring to the family gathering. Usually this time of year I have already baked up countless dozens of cookies for eating and sharing. With all of the possibilities one can get pulled in all sorts of directions. Once I have decided I will post as a holiday recap. So enjoy the holidays everyone. The snow has been steadily falling the past few hours, maybe we will have a white Christmas after all! Enjoy!
Satsuma Gelée Recipe
2 cups bubbly orange juice
1 Tablespoon gelatin
10 Satsuma oranges, peeled & segmented
¾ cup coconut milk [-or- cream]
2 Tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon gelatin
Chopped pistachios [for garnishing]
Shredded coconut [for garnishing]
preparing the orange gelée:
1. Place the orange bubbly in a sauce pan and sprinkle the gelatin over. Let the gelatin bloom for a few minutes.
2. Whisk in the gelatin and heat just to a simmer. Set aside.
3. Fill serving glasses with orange segments and pour in the juice.
4. Chill in the refrigerator until set, approximately 2-4 hours.
preparing the coconut cream:
1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and allow to bloom.
2. Heat the coconut milk in a small sauce pan and add sugar and any flavorings you like.
3. Whisk a little coconut milk into the gelatin and then add it to the rest of the coconut milk.
4. Cool slightly and pour over the set orange gelée.
5. Garnish with pistachios and coconut.