You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘spiced pears’ tag.
As it is with baking in the kitchen here at home I am always trying new ideas. This gluten free chocolate cake was a big hit back in September. So I changed things up a bit and worked in some fresh pears and pistachios. The cake again was really nice, but I didn’t want to revisit my failed attempt at making a Swiss buttercream just yet, to frost and decorate. The next best thing…trifles!
There are times I leave out the frosting and go for glazes or creams. With a few easy ingredients and some cute glasses, these trifles assemble quickly, sadly they disappear too fast. I now realize I should have spooned some chocolate glaze on them. With extra cake always around, there will definitely be some next time.
Soft whipped cream, tender chocolate cake and ripe pears… yum.
This chocolate cake recipe can be used for whole cakes, cupcakes, mini chocolate loaves, etc. It is very versatile, moist, and has beautiful texture. I think you will just love this recipe.
Have a great start to your week!
Chocolate Pear Cake Recipe [makes one 8 inch round]
¾ cup g/f baking mix*
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
¼ cup pistachio flour [-or- use more g/f mix]
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup dark brown sugar
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large firm pears, peeled, cored and grated
Preheat oven to 350°F
Butter and line an eight inch cake pan.
1. Whisk together g/f baking mix, cocoa powder, pistachio flour, spices, baking soda and sea salt. Set Aside.
2. Cream together butter and sugar together until light, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
4. Alternately mix in dry mixture and wet mixture into the creamed butter until fully incorporated.
5. Fold in grated pears and spread into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan and invert onto a cooling rack to completely cool.
7. Cut or break cake into bite sized pieces.
*note: If your pears are ripe and very juicy, drain or squeeze out the moisture. This will help the cake from becoming soggy.
Spiced Pear Recipe
4 firm ripe pears
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 Tablespoons cane sugar -or- honey
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Peel, core and chop pears.
2. Melt butter on medium-low heat and add remaining ingredients.
3. Gently sauté until pear are just tender. Cool.
to complete trifles:
2 cups cream
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ – ½ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
1. Whip cream with sugar until just soft peaks.
2. Layer ingredients: sautéed pears, whipped cream, pistachios, cake.
3. Repeat step 2 until the serving vessel is full then top with whipped cream and pistachios.
Serves 8 portions.